The organization, now known as the Drug, Chemical & Associated Technologies Association (DCAT), was formed in New York City, New York, under the New York Board of Trade, in 1890.
The fifty member companies who officially signed its organizational charter in January of 1891 included Charles Pfizer and George Merck, and other well-established leaders of the then burgeoning industry.
Those business leaders had a vision: Better business relations, improved conditions in the industry, the advancement of common ideals and the core values in which they believed, and an atmosphere in which to share knowledge and build relationships with industry colleagues.
Operating from its headquarters in New York City, the organization continued to grow and welcomed businesses from various industry sectors. In 1961, the Drug, Chemical & Allied Trades Section separated from the New York Board of Trade and formed an independent membership entity. In 2003, the organization changed its name to the Drug, Chemical & Associated Technologies Association to update and best reflect its changing and diverse membership.
With headquarters now located in Robbinsville, New Jersey, DCAT has grown from its modest New York City beginnings into the premier global business development association for companies engaged in the Bio/Pharmaceutical manufacturing value chain.