About the Board & Applying to Serve on the Board
The Board of Directors is composed of four officers, five directors, and two immediate past presidents. They have the authority and responsibility for the governance of the organization. In addition, the members serve as thought leaders who develop and guide the organization’s strategic plan, establish and implement policy, and manage financial matters to best serve the member companies. See the outline of functional responsibilities below.
The Leadership Development Committee comprises four officers, the immediate past president, and three members currently engaging with the organization as committee volunteers. They begin their process of reviewing applications and interviewing candidates during the months of June and July. Applicants may be notified about their applications as early as August/September. Those selected will begin their term on November 1st, 2022.
Current Positions Available to Applicants for November 1st, 2022
The organization will be seeking applications June 10, 2022 through July 15, 2022 for the following:
- Board of Directors: Director. Three Director positions are available. See the description below.
- Board of Directors: Third Vice President: Volunteer Resources (Member of Executive Committee). One position is available. See the description below.
A Director on the Board assists the organization in achieving its mission and ensures that the organization is responsive to the needs of the membership. This position is a one-year term. A Director may be selected for no more than three (3) one-year terms. As a Director, functional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participation in monthly conference calls of the Board of Directors.
- Review of reports or other materials in preparation for those monthly conference calls or other meetings.
- Attendance at biannual full-day, in-person, board meetings usually held in New Jersey, USA (mid-year and year-end.)
- Participation in organizational events throughout the year.
- Leadership role on an initiative(s) or project(s), or task force.
- Participation during DCAT Week at key events such as the Volunteer Luncheon and Member Reception.
- Interaction with committee chairs and other volunteers with regard to various initiatives and projects.
- Participation in membership recruitment and retention.
- Interaction with the Executive Director and staff to assist with projects and provide insight and expertise.
- Your company must support your participation as a DCAT volunteer, including attending events, travel, hotels, meals, and other related costs.
- Your company should show support for the organization and your volunteer efforts in terms of company participation and sponsorship.
- Encourage member companies and colleagues to engage in activities and support the organization’s events with sponsorship.
- Commit to placing the organization’s mission and needs above one’s own personal or employer’s preferences to ensure the organization’s continued growth, success, and sustainability.
The Third Vice President oversees the volunteer resources and acts as a liaison between the Board of Directors, committees, and volunteers. This position is a six (6) year commitment with the first five (5) years as a member of the Executive Committee and Human Resources Committee. After serving as the Third Vice President, the elected volunteer moves on to Second Vice President (Finance Officer), First Vice President (Annual Dinner Chairperson, Leadership Development Committee Chairperson), President, 1st Immediate Past President, and 2nd Immediate Past President. In these positions, functional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- All responsibilities, as described above, for the Director.
- Oversee key projects related to various functional Executive Committee roles.
- Promote and represent the organization to the membership and general public at meetings and events and through various communication channels such as print, web, or social media.
- Participation as a member of the Executive Committee.
- Participation as a member of the Human Resources Committee.
- Participation as a member of the Leadership Development Committee.
Process for Applicants for the Board of Directors
All applicants for the positions described above should review the information thoroughly as well as the DCAT Code of Ethics for Volunteer Leaders. Applicants must be sure that they can meet all the requirements and standards set forth above and in the Code of Ethics document.
Thoughtful consideration is given to every candidate by the Leadership Development Committee, who will review all applications and attached documents. Often, there are many applicants, and therefore, it is not always possible to interview each candidate that applies. Should that be the case, the Committee will invite the candidates they feel might best complement the current Board through their industry sector or experience, knowledge of, and participation in the DCAT organization.
If there are any candidates not invited to interview, they will be notified after the close of the application period. Those not selected for an interview are encouraged to apply again in June of 2023.
Application Guide & Submission Information
Applicants are asked to review the Questions and Guide for Application Submission for the Board of Directors 2022 and submit their information and answers in a document using Microsoft Word. Applicants may also attach a photo, CV, or any other information they might feel is pertinent. All documents and attachments should be sent to BODapp@dcat.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS PASSED
Thank you for participating in this process. If you have any questions regarding the process or the information as stated above, please direct them to Margaret Timony, DCAT Executive Director, at email@example.com.